San Francisco Mayor Guia Plaza-Sabanal of Surigao del Norte has asked Cebu City Mayor Tomas Osmeña to reconsider his decision to withdraw plans to donate P2 million to the quake-stricken town.
Sabanal said the municipal government is still interested in pursuing the donation which was intended for the repair of government buildings and water systems in the town.
The mayor pointed to “miscommunication” that led the Cebu mayor to withdraw plans to donate P2 million from the city’s coffer.
The town council, Sabanal said had already passed a resolution in their regular session last Oct. 6, expressing profound gratitude for the city’s compassion in extending aid to their town and giving her authority to sign the memorandum of agreement (MOA) for the donation.
Cebu city pledged to give P2 million to San Francisco when the town was hit by an earthquake on Feb. 10.
Aside from the grant for San Francisco, the city also pledged to give P10 million to Ormoc City, which was also hit by a magnitude 6.5 earthquake last August.
But Osmeña announced on Wednesday, he was withdrawing the assistance program to the earthquake-stricken areas of San Francisco and Ormoc, citing the purported lack of interest from officials in these areas.
In the case of the San Francisco donation, Osmeña said he did not receive any update from the local government, despite the donation being approved by the city council.
Osmeña said he would instead give the assistance to families of soldiers who fought and died during the five-month battle with terrorists in Marawi City.
“I am canceling the project because they are not interested. They are not doing anything. They don’t appreciate our money; never mind,” Osmeña said. By CLC