Police authorities strongly denied the information circulated in social media that armed men had been sighted in many areas in Caraga region.
Caraga police director Chief Supt. Rolando B. Felix said there is no truth to recent reports over sightings of armed men in different areas in the region following the outbreak of the siege of Marawi City by Maute militants.
“All these alleged sightings are not true,” Felix said.
“May I appeal to our social media users to stop circulating these unverified information and we also appeal to the peace-loving citizens that this information must be pulled out from the social media account because it may create panic,” Felix said.
Felix issued the denial after several queries on the information from social media that “6 pump boats loaded with fully armed men landed in Mankahorom island in Hinatuan, Surigao del Sur on June 2 this year.”
Another report was on two Middle Eastern-looking nationals looking for a gun store at a mall in Butuan.
Other fake reports circulating in social media that the authorities denied were those on “Muslim-looking individuals checked in as guests in a hotel and inn in Surigao City; black flags were raised in the coastal area of Barangay Sabang; and another 9 pump boats with undetermined number of men clad in black masks with bonnets were seen docking at Carmen, Agusan del Norte, after which they dispersed to different directions in the province on this same day (June 2).”
The regional police is closely coordinating with all law enforcement agencies, local government units and all agencies of the government in an objective to make Caraga the most peaceful region in Mindanao despite of the crisis in Marawi City, Felix said.
He assured Caraganons that all coastal areas and regional boarders of Caraga are being closely watched in an effort to block the entry of terror group and lawless elements. By CLC