Skip to content

NPA rebs ‘sorry’ for roadside bomb attack in Surigao Sur

Philip Medrano, 57, one of those wounded in the roadside bomb attack in San Agustin, Surigao del Sur gets emergency treatment at a local hospital. Photos courtesy of San AgustinMPS

Communist guerrillas issued an apology for a roadside bomb attack that the police and military said left two civilians wounded on Thursday.

Ka Sandara Amihan, spokesperson for New People’s Army’s Front Committee 14, said the local rebel command was taking responsibility for the bomb attack and pledged to compensate the civilian victims.

Amihan said that the improvised explosive device (IED) they planted along the national highway in Barangay Sto. Niño in San Agustin town in Surigao del Sur that hit a cargo truck had detonated by mistake.

The explosion left the driver and his assistant wounded. They were immediately brought to Lianga District Hospital in Lianga town for medical treatment and had been declared out of danger.

The bomb was supposedly directed at a convoy of military vehicles, said Amihan, whose unit operates in parts of Surigao del Sur and Agusan del Sur.

A ranking military official in Caraga quickly criticized the NPA, adding attacks on unarmed civilians are unjustified.

“This is a great act of terror which totally disregard the safety of innocent people. Likewise, this is again a violation of the CARHRIHL which provides that civilians shall be protected from any kinds of violence and shall not be the object of attack,” said Maj. Gen. Benjamin Madrigal, commander of the Army’s 4th Infantry Division.

“We will definitely file a complaint to the appropriate court and to CHR and other human rights bodies. Likewise, there will be no let up on our operations in order to immediately put an end to the atrocities perpetrated by these terrorists,” he said. By CLC

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *