Government forces recovered three M14 rifles and bomb-making components from an alleged New People’s Army (NPA) bomb-maker who surrendered in Sibagat town in Agusan del Sur.
1st Lt. Roel Maglalang, civil military operations officer of the Army’s 23rd Infantry Battalion, said the rebel, who surrendered on Friday last week, led the military to the location of the weapons cache he had stashed somewhere in Barangay Padiay.
“During the briefing, the surrenderer disclosed significant information which pointed to the exact location of the firearms to include several war materiel and assorted personal belongings,” Maglalang said.
Maglalang said the rebel, who was identified only as Marco was the latest among the hundreds of former communist guerrillas in Caraga who have surrendered since January.
Maglalang attributed the influx of surrenderees to the “whole-of-nation approach” to end the armed conflict.
The rebel returnees are offered livelihood financing, scholarships, housing, and free legal assistance through the government’s Enhanced Comprehensive Local Integration program. By CLC