The Department of Health in Region 13 (DOH-Caraga ) rated its public campaign against firecrackers a huge success as the agency only recorded three firecracker injuries for the Christmas and New Year’s holidays.
Dr. Jose R. Llacuna, regional health director, said the number, which covered the firecracker injuries from December 21, 2018 up January 5, 2019, was 77 percent down from the 13 persons reported in the same period last year.
“We believe that our campaign has reached our people well,” Llacuna said.
Of the recorded cases, two were reported from Surigao del Norte and one case for Agusan del Sur.
The three victims suffered very minor injuries, he said.
Llacuna lauded the local government units and other stakeholders for their contribution in ensuring that no one was hurt during the revelry.
“It was re-echoed by our LGUs in an effort to minimize if not put a stop to the fireworks-related injuries in our region,” he said.
Caraga is composed of the provinces of Agusan del Norte, Agusan del Sur, Surigao del Norte, Surigao del Sur and Dinagat Islands.
The DOH would strive to attain a zero firecracker injury next year, Llacuna said. By CLC