Dengue outbreak declared in Surigao del Norte

Surigao del Norte has declared a dengue outbreak after 1,174 people were reported to be infected by the mosquito-borne disease from January to August, leading to two deaths.

Gov. Francisco “Lalo” Matugas, who issued an executive order released last Tuesday said the declaration would make the Surigao del Norte’s calamity fund available to address the dengue menace.

Matugas said the provincial government pushed hard for the adoption of measures that focused on preventing new infections and early treatment.

He directed all district and provincial hospitals to extend free service and assistance to dengue patients, and for local governments, through city and municipal health officers, to intensify antidengue drives .

At least 1,174 dengue cases were recorded from January 1 to August 14  in the 20 towns of the province and the capital city of Surigao, with two deaths reported, according to data from the provincial health office.

For the same period last year, there were only 384 cases.

Surigao City recorded the highest number of dengue patients with (539), followed by Claver town (102), Placer town (63), Gigaquit  town (61), San Francisco town (55) and Dapa town (51).

Dengue is a type of disease caused by bite from the virus-carrying Aedes aegypti mosquito. By CLC

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


TOP