Dengue death toll in Caraga climbs to 8, cases up by 600%

The rising number of dengue fever patients in the Caraga Region has alarmed health officials, as cases have surpassed figures recorded last year. PHOTO/ Bombo Radyo Butuan

The Department of Health in Caraga (DOH-13) has recorded a sudden spike in dengue fever cases in the last five weeks, with the death toll rising to eight by Feb. 2.

Romelyn Torralba, regional DOH spokesperson, said dengue cases in Caraga reached 2,535 with eight deaths from Jan. 1 to Feb.2 this year.

Torralba said this is 598.3% higher compared to the number of cases recorded in the same period in 2018 with only 300 cases.

“We can’t deny it’s really high. The number of cases could still rise,” Torralba told a local station.

According to her, two out of the eight fatalities in the region were between 5 and 16 years old and were from Butuan City.

Torralba also identified at least 10 barangays around the city as dengue hot spots, after rising number of reported dengue fever patients since Jan. 1 this year.

Declared hot zones were barangays Ambago, Mahogany, Bading, San Vicente, Agusan Pequeño, Tandang Sora, Villa Kananga, Libertad, Baan KM 3 and JP Rizal.

The barangays are currently carrying out fumigation operations to prevent the spread of the disease.

Torralba, however, said there was no outbreak of the disease.

She called on the public to follow the government’s “4S” strategyagainst dengue- searching and destroying mosquito breeding places; securing self-protection; seeking early consultation; and supporting fogging and spraying in hotspot places.

The DOH earlier issued a directive reactivating dengue-dedicated lanes in public hospitals to hasten the admittance of dengue cases, both suspected and confirmed. By CLC

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


TOP