Dengue cases decline dramatically in Caraga

 

Reversal of the trend. A dramatic decrease in the number of dengue cases in Caraga indicating that the campaign against the deadly mosquito-borne disease in the region was gaining ground. PHOTO/PDI

The Department of Health in Caraga (DOH-13) reported a dramatic decrease in the number of dengue cases in Caraga indicating that the campaign against the deadly mosquito-borne disease in the region was gaining ground.

“Our continuing awareness program and also the effort of various officials of the different local government units make this significant downtrend of dengue cases in the region,” said Dr. Jose R. Llacuna, Jr., DOH director for Caraga.

From 8,099 cases in the whole Caraga region in 2016, Llacuna said the number was just 2,634 in 2017.

Based on the report prepared by the DOH epidemiology bureau, only one reported death from January 1 to April 17 this year while six recorded deaths in the same period last year.

There were only three cases recorded regionwide in April 17, this year, compared with 165 in 2017 during the same period.

Despite the dramatic gains in the campaign against dengue, Llacuna said health workers are continuing with their jobs of eliminating the disease, urging the public to clean their respective surroundings and encouraging parents to immediately consult early if their child has been experiencing fever for two days.

“Dengue and other mosquito-borne diseases may be prevented through the ‘4s campaign’—search and destroy mosquito breeding places; use self-protection measures; seek early consultation for fever lasting more than two days; and say no to indiscriminate fogging,” Llacuna said. By CLC

  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


TOP