The region’s first confirmed coronavirus (COVID-19) patient is now in stable condition, according to the Department of Health in Caraga.
DOH Caraga Director Jose Llacuna Jr. said, the patient, a 68-year-old Butuanon with pre-existing conditions of hypertension, diabetes and chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and confined in the isolation room of the Caraga Regional Hospital (CRH) in Surigao City– is now in stable condition.
Llacuna said the patient arrived from Manila on March 12 and was admitted at CRH in March 29 due to flu-like symptoms.
The CRH received the laboratory results from the Southern Philippines Medical Center (SPMC) on Monday (April 6) morning.
Caraga has only one confirmed COVID-19 case, 12 patients under investigation, and 102 persons under monitoring as of Monday based on the case tracker of the DOH.
Llacuna said health officials are now on intensive contact tracing of persons who may have been exposed to the carrier.
“As of this time, the Regional Epidemiology and Surveillance Unit initiated the contact tracing of persons who interacted with or were in close proximity with the patient including the patient’s flight details,” he said.
The Caraga health chief also urged the public to strictly observe physical distancing and follow the protocols in the region which had been placed under community quarantine.
“I would like to remind the public that this is something that we need to take seriously. Follow the policies set by the government and by DOH. Remember to practice physical distancing, hand hygiene, cough etiquette, boost your immune system, and avoid sharing unverified news,” he said.
“I also urge the public that unless necessary, please, stay at home. COVID-19 cannot last without a host. Break the chain of transmission by staying at your homes,” Llacuna added. CLC