The Butuan Doctors’ Hospital on Thursday announced that it will no longer accept more suspected, probable and positive coronavirus disease (COVID-19) patients, saying it has reached the limit of its COVID-19 bed capacity, and its manpower and resources “limited.”
According to the hospital administrator, Dr. Maria Chiara Estacio, its COVID-19 isolation wing had already reached full capacity as of July 30, Thursday.
“We have reached full capacity for our allocated beds for COVID-19 suspect, probable and confirmed cases,” Estacio said.
She added: “Due to our limited manpower and resources necessary to provide appropriate or critical care required by Covid patients, we can no longer accept COVID-19 cases, without compromising quality of care.”
Estacio noted since March, 81 COVID-related cases are admitted to the hospital, five of which are confirmed cases.
On top of that, two of its healthcare workers had tested positive for the novel coronavirus disease.
At present, 53 of its healthcare workers underwent reverse transcription-polymerase chain reaction tests, eight of which are on “strict quarantine” while awaiting test results, she said.
“We ask for your indulgence and ask that you understand that this is done for the safety and protection of our patients, staff and the whole community,” she further said.
However, Estacio asssured that its emergency room will be available on a 24/7 basis to accommodate patients with emergency medical concerns, and would still accept and handle “serious and life-threatening non-COVID-19 cases.
Caraga health authorities recently declared Butuan as the epicenter of COVID-19 in the region following a sustained transmission of the virus. CLC