The number of people infected with the coronavirus disease in Butuan City has reached 500, the Department of Health (DOH) in Caraga said.
In a bulletin released Friday, DOH Caraga said 20 people in the city have died, while 179 recovered from the illness.
At least 25 new cases and another fatality were recorded in Butuan on Friday by the DOH Caraga.
The positive cases were broken down as follows: Barangay Libertad–4, Agusan Pequeno–2, Ambago –2, Doongan –2, Rajah Sulayman–2, Ampayon–1, Baan Km3 –1, Baan Riverside–1, Bayanihan–1, Datu Silongan 1, Fort Poyohon–1, Imadejas–1, Limaha–1, San Ignacio–1, San Vicente–1, Taligaman–1, Tandang Sora–1, Urduj–1, and Villa Kananga–1
Of the 25 new cases, five were close contacts of previously confirmed cases, 12 were health care workers, one frontline non-medical worker and eight were new local transmission cases, according to the agency.
At least 11 of the 25 patients are asymptomatic,13 with mild symptoms and two are severe cases.
The latest COVID-19 fatality, a 72-year-old man from Barangay Doongan, died while being treated for complications, the DOH Caraga said.
As of noon on Friday, Sept. 18, Butuan City, the regional capital, leads the COVID-19 count in key cities in Caraga with 500 cases, followed by Bislig with 43. Surigao City has 16 cases, Bayugan with 14 while Cabadbaran has 13. Tandag has the lowest number of cases with five.
Butuan remains the epicenter of the coronavirus disease in the region. CLC