Police have placed its forces in entire Caraga region on alert following the series of attacks waged by the New People’s Army (NPA) in Surigao provinces.
Chief Supt. Rolando B. Felix, Caraga police director said police on the ground were strengthening their defense plan for the security of their respective headquarters in anticipation of possible attacks by communist rebels.
Felix said the PNP mobile units, particularly the public safety companies spread out in the different areas in the region, were closely coordinating with its counterparts in Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) in going after the insurgents.
The region’s police chief also ordered field unit commanders to strengthen security measures in all key government and private installations as well as checkpoints ,particularly in the regional borders.
Felix called on the public to be alert and report to authorities suspicious persons in their locality.
The PNP raised its alert as President Rodrigo Duterte ordered the suspension of the peace talks with the communists-led National Democratic Front of the Philippines.
Last week, insurgents staged offensives against government troops and civilians in Caraga .
Ka Ariel Montero, the spokesperson of the New People’s Army Regional Operational Command, said the series of attacks all launched on Tuesday (July 18) were meant to show its protest against the imminent extension of martial law in Mindanao and the all-out military offensive under Oplan Kapayapaan.
Montero pointed out their simultaneous offensives – disarming of Vice Mayor Emmanuel Suarez of Cortes town in Surigao del Sur, burning of Dole-Stanfilco banana plantation in Tago, also in Surigao del Sur, attack on a construction firm in Surigao City and the killing of a militiaman in Butuan were necessary to protect the interest of the masses and the revolutionary movement . By CLC