A couple from Barobo town in Surigao del Sur died while two others fell ill on Wednesday after eating “kinhason” suspected to be contaminated with red tide toxins, according to authorities.
Police Chief Master Sergeant Luzvi Urbiztondo, Barobo town police investigator, said that Lucia Namoc, 55, and her husband, Leonito, both residents of Barangay Kinayan died at the Lianga District Hospital (LDH) in neighboring town of Lianga while they were being treated.
Two other residents of the village were also brought to the LDH due to red tide poisoning.
Urbiztondo said based on information she gathered from the villagers, the victims ate “kinhason” gathered from the waters off Lianga Bay.
The Bureau of Fisheries and Aquatic Resources in Caraga (BFAR-13) had raised a red tide alert in Lianga Bay on Tuesday, November 26.
Visa Tan-Dimeren, BFAR Caraga director, said based on latest laboratory results conducted by the agency, the water samples collected from Lianga Bay turned up positive for pyrodinium bahamense variety compressum, a toxic microorganism that causes paralytic shellfish poisoning.
She said the gathering, sale and consumption of all kinds of shellfish in the area had been prohibited.
She, however, said fish, shrimps, squid and crabs gathered from the area would be safe to eat only after these are cleaned thoroughly, their internal organs removed and they are cooked long enough. By CLC